Bits and bobs

Well its been a busy month and good progress made.

I’ll let the pics do most of the talking but a quick summary:

Ply lined the floor
Finished putting the batons down and cut a large sheet of ply for the flooring base. This is actually harder it to do than it looks and is a bit of a crappy job really. I wouldn’t say I’m 100% happy with it but we are going to lay some carpet over the top so its not really that big a deal as it will not be seen. We managed to pickup some hard wearing camper van carpet from the local carpet place for £15 so can’t complain.

used a bit of the old interior matting as template to cut the ply.

used a bit of the old interior matting as template to cut the ply.

squeezed in nicely :)

squeezed in nicely 🙂

got some angle alu to stop the edges getting damaged, wasn't enough length to mitre the corners :/ still need to do the bottom step..

got some angle alu to stop the edges getting damaged, wasn’t enough length to mitre the corners :/ still need to do the bottom step..

bed back in for a test fit.

bed back in for a test fit.

turned around to find this pest in the van!

turned around to find this pest in the van!

battons... I'm not sure if this was the best approach after all..

battons… I’m not sure if this was the best approach after all..

some ugly cut outs for the   bed mount points. It had to come out again to cut again to access the seat belt mount points..

some ugly cut outs for the bed mount points. It had to come out again to cut again to access the seat belt mount points..

does it fit? notice the gap at the near side, due to ply board size, this will be covered by units so not an issue.

does it fit? notice the gap at the near side, due to ply board size, this will be covered by units so not an issue.

Spark plugs changed
As the van is mid engined this is a bit of a pain because although the front seats fold back there still remains the handbreak and a bit cross beam blocking access so all that had to come out before you could even get near the plugs. We are in the middle of a heatwave too so it was red hot in the van. Looking at the plugs there weren’t even that bad but seeing as I had already bought a spare set I put them in anyway for piece of mind.

2013-07-19 16.00.32

Seat belts fitted
This is a bit of a grey area for me as from what I’ve read if you have installed a bed seat in the rear of your conversion legally you don’t actually need to have a seatbelt. Anyway I decided to use something called D Shackles which enabled me to connect the seatbelts to the strong floor mounting points. Making them pretty much factory safe. I’m going to get it all checked by an MOT centre though to ensure its safe.

2013-07-20 12.51.13 2013-07-20 12.51.17 2013-07-20 12.51.27

Leisure battery & split charge relay system installed
This is pretty cool, basically you wire up a relay so that when the ignition is on (engine running) a secondary battery in the rear of the van is charged up. Meaning you drive to your chosen camping location and when you park up you essentially have a massive car battery to run your electrics without fear of your car not starting.
I built a shelf out of MDF with some ridged edges to stop the battery bouncing around.
I’ve got a 500W 240 inverter too so we can run 3pin mains devices off the leisure battery, think TV, hair straighteners etc. It will also be used for some lighting and phone chargers oh and I’ve got a raspberry Pi to go in there so we can watch some media on a night when its too cold for a camp fire. Its a 110ah battery (the biggest I could find) so it will be great for us.

piggyback fuse tap, easy way to have a plug and play install.

piggyback fuse tap, easy way to have a plug and play install.

all feeds use inline fuses for safety.

all feeds use inline fuses for safety.

this will be hidden in a cupboard eventually.

this will be hidden in a cupboard eventually.

Whats next?
In the following order we found a bit more rust so that needs welding ASAP before I can build the cupboards.. we decided we need to get the windows tinted so the cupboard backs don’t look ugly from the outside. We also went to visit my uncle recently whos an uplholsterer so hes going to make the sofa bed cushions and reupholster the front seats too. After all that I’ll make the cupboards.. lightweight veneered ply is very expensive though… so either need to save up or see if we can use contiboard.. (mpg affect scares me). Just remembered that the tyre that the garage puncture is completely shafted now and goes flat within 3 hours so that needs sorting out…again… so watch this space.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s